variants: or less commonly slugging average
Definition of slugging percentage
: a statistic that reflects a batter's ability to get extra-base hits and that is expressed as a ratio (such as a rate per thousand) of the total number of bases reached on base hits (with one base for a single, two for a double, three for a triple, and four for a home run) to official times at bat He drove in 118 runs, batted .289 and had the highest slugging percentage (.618) in the majors.— Ron Fimrite Quentin finished last week second in the American League in home runs (14), RBIs (48) and slugging percentage (.571) and sixth in on-base percentage (.396).— Jon Heyman The 28-year-old reached career-best figures in runs, RBIs, doubles (35), home runs (23) and slugging average (.505).— Jim Allen
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game