Definition of slipper brake
1 : a metal plate or skid used under the wheel or pushed against the roadway or track to retard the motion of a vehicle
2 : a metal plate slipped against a moving part of a machine to retard or stop its motion
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game