Definition of slip joint
1a : a telescopic joint between two parts (such as a piece of tubing and packing material in a stuffing box) that permits the parts to move in a lengthwise direction
b : a joint formed by slipping one part over another of nearly the same size and uniting the two (as by brazing)
2 : a channel or groove cut in an existing wall to receive the ends of the brick of a new wall
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game