slip awayphrasal verb
slipped away; slipping away; slips away
Definition of slip away
1 : to pass out of existence The afternoon quietly slipped away. They saw their four-run lead slip away. Their grandmother slipped away in her sleep last night.
2 : to leave a place without being noticed They slipped away from the party right after dinner.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?