slim·er | \ ˈslīmə(r)\
Definition of slimer
1 : toadfish
2 : any of various devices (such as a buddle or shaking table) for concentrating ore slime
3 [ 2slime + -er ] : a worker who slimes something: such as
a : a cannery worker who cleans fish by hand
b : a slaughterhouse worker who ties intestines into hanks and cleans them before they go individually to the casing-cleaning machine
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?