skives; skived; skiving
Definition of skive
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to avoid work or school by staying away or by leaving without permission … 71 per cent said rewards for good ideas and punctuality would make them work harder and not skive … — South Wales Evening Post Tam is 15 and he's skiving school.— Julie Mccaffrey —often used with off I once worked in a hospital garden where my workmate skived off every day with "backache" and disappeared to work on his car at home.— Louis De Bernières
Definition of skive (Entry 2 of 2)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game