Definition of skirt-dance
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to execute a skirt dance
Definition of skirt dance (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : a ballet dance popular in the 19th century distinguished by the dancer's manipulations of her long flowing and varicolored skirts or drapery
2 : a folk dance (such as the chiapanecas) accompanied by the manipulation of full skirts or drapery
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game