Definition of simple engine
1 : an engine (such as a steam engine) in which the expansion is completed in a single phase and exhausted to atmosphere or condenses after a single stroke of the piston — compare compound engine
2 : a steam engine in which the live steam is fed directly to the cylinders and after a single use of its expansive force is allowed to escape through the exhaust
— contrasted with compound engine
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game