Definition of simple engine
1 : an engine (such as a steam engine) in which the expansion is completed in a single phase and exhausted to atmosphere or condenses after a single stroke of the piston — compare compound engine
2 : a steam engine in which the live steam is fed directly to the cylinders and after a single use of its expansive force is allowed to escape through the exhaust
— contrasted with compound engine
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game