sil·phi·um | \ ˈsilfēəm\
Definition of silphium
1 plural silphia\ -ēə\ : an extinct umbelliferous plant of the genus Ferula not definitely identifiable as to species but well known to the ancient Greeks and used by them medicinally
2 capitalized [ New Latin, from Latin ] : a large genus of tall North American perennial herbs (family Compositae) having coarse heads of yellow flowers with fertile rays and broad flat winged achenes — see cup plant
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game