Definition of silk gland
: a gland that produces a viscid fluid which is extruded in filaments and hardens into silk on exposure to air: such as
a : either of a pair of greatly enlarged and modified salivary glands of an insect larva that produce a compound filament from which a larval or pupal cover (such as a cocoon) is spun
b : any of two or more abdominal glands of a spider that open through spinnerets and produce a filament used chiefly in the spinning of webs
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?