variants: or sieve-tube member
Definition of sieve-tube element
: a thin-walled elongated living cell that has no nucleus at maturity, is continuous with other similar cells by protoplasmic strands which pass through the perforations of specialized sieve plates, probably functions primarily in the translocation of organic solutes, and is the basic element of the sieve tube — compare sieve cell
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game