si·cil·i·a·no | \ sə̇ˌsilēˈä(ˌ)nō, sə̇ˌchi-\
variants: or siciliana \ -nə \ or sicilienne \ sə̇¦silē¦en \
Definition of siciliano
1 : a graceful Sicilian rustic dance in which the partners are joined with handkerchiefs
2 : the music for the siciliano in ⁶/₈ or ¹²/₈ time characterized by a lyrical melody with dotted rhythm and similar to the pastorale
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game