variants: or shutter weir
Definition of shutter dam
: a dam formerly consisting of one or more simple shutters or gates turning on a horizontal axis near the top and now consisting of a series of short pieces that revolve on their horizontal axes and are lowered to rest flatwise on the sill
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game