Definition of shrimpfish
: any of numerous small compressed East Indian marine fishes of the family Centriscidae that are related to the bellows fish and have a tubular snout and the body covered with an armor of transparent bony plates which is fused with the endoskeleton, extends over and beyond the down-turned dorsal and caudal fins, and terminates in a long spine
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game