Definition of shoulder mark
: one of a pair of nearly rectangular pieces of stiffened cloth worn parallel to the shoulder seam of some uniforms of U.S. Navy officers, bearing embroidered or gold lace or black braid insignia of rank and line or corps devices, and secured at the inner triangular end by a gilt button
— called also shoulder board
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game