Definition of shoulder knot
1 : an ornamental knot of ribbon or lace worn on the shoulder in the 17th and 18th centuries
2 : a detachable ornament of braided wire cord worn on ceremonial occasions on the shoulders of a uniform by a commissioned officer
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game