shored up; shoring up; shores up
Definition of shore up
1 : to support (something) or keep (something) from falling by placing something under or against it They shored up the roof/wall.
2 : to support or help (something) The tax cuts are supposed to shore up the economy.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game