shore upphrasal verb
shored up; shoring up; shores up
Definition of shore up
1 : to support (something) or keep (something) from falling by placing something under or against it They shored up the roof/wall.
2 : to support or help (something) The tax cuts are supposed to shore up the economy.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game