shore upphrasal verb
shored up; shoring up; shores up
Definition of shore up
1 : to support (something) or keep (something) from falling by placing something under or against it They shored up the roof/wall.
2 : to support or help (something) The tax cuts are supposed to shore up the economy.
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game