shopped around; shopping around; shops around
Definition of shop around
1 : to look for the most suitable item or service for the lowest price Shop around first before you buy a car. She is shopping around for a bank with low fees.
2 : to try to get a company to publish or produce (something) He shopped his manuscript around, but no publishers were interested.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game