shop aroundphrasal verb
shopped around; shopping around; shops around
Definition of shop around
1 : to look for the most suitable item or service for the lowest price Shop around first before you buy a car. She is shopping around for a bank with low fees.
2 : to try to get a company to publish or produce (something) He shopped his manuscript around, but no publishers were interested.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game