Definition of shooting board
1 : a fixture used as a guide in planing or shooting the edge of a board when greater accuracy is required than can be obtained with the miter box
— called also miter shooting board
2 : a metal table equipped with a plane for trimming, squaring, and sometimes beveling metal printing plates (such as electrotypes)
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game