Definition of shooting board
1 : a fixture used as a guide in planing or shooting the edge of a board when greater accuracy is required than can be obtained with the miter box
— called also miter shooting board
2 : a metal table equipped with a plane for trimming, squaring, and sometimes beveling metal printing plates (such as electrotypes)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game