Definition of shinnery oak
: any of several small shrubby oaks that tend to form thickets especially : a low shrub (Quercus havardii) that spreads by underground suckers to form dense thickets, produces large sweet acorns, and grows on dry sandy land of the southwestern U.S.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game