Definition of shielding
: something that shields or protects Options include a night-vision camera, under-body blast shielding to help protect against land mines and bombs, as well as radiation detection devices.— Chantal Eustace It sounds impressive, but the only difference between multimedia speakers and plain old loudspeakers is magnetic shielding to protect your monitor.— Jonathan Karl Matzkin especially : a device or screen that protects against harmful radiation The radioactive metals must be treated behind heavy shielding by remote control … — Leon Svirsky This capsule was sealed in a tungsten wheel the size of a tricycle tire, which was then placed behind thick lead shielding. Radiation emitted through a pinhole in the lead was used to treat patients with localized cancers. — Sandra Blakeslee
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game