Definition of shelf mark
: a character from a library's system of book arrangement usually appearing at the base of the spine of a book and used to indicate the shelf in a fixed location or the relative position of the book to others of its class in an expansive classification
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game