Definition of sheep-dip
1 : a liquid preparation of toxic chemicals into which sheep are plunged especially to destroy parasitic arthropods (such as lice, mites, keds, ticks)
2 : a coal-tar disinfectant for use about farms or on animals' wounds
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game