Definition of shearing stress
: a stress in an elastic solid or a fluid that is caused by a shear which tends to make different sections or layers of the solid or fluid move in different directions and that is measured by the force per unit area exerted by the different sections on each other in a direction parallel to their plane of contact
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game