Definition of shaded-pole motor
: a single-phase induction motor in small ratings made self-starting by flux displacement derived by means of a permanently short-circuited, high-resistance winding or loop encircling a fraction of the pole pitch or pole piece
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game