variants: or less commonly sewin \ ˈsüə̇n \ or siwin \ ˈsēwə̇n \
Definition of sewen
: the sea trout as found along the west coast of England and Wales and the coasts of Ireland whence it is sometimes regarded as constituting a distinct variety (Salmo trutta cambricus)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game