Definition of seventeen-year locust
: a cicada (Magicicada septendecim) of the U.S. that lives most of its life as a wingless underground nymph and emerges from the ground after seventeen years in the North and after thirteen years in the South to spend only a few weeks as a winged adult
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?