settle on/upon (something)phrasal verb
settled on/upon (something); settling on/upon (something); settles on/upon (something)
Definition of settle on/upon (something)
: to choose (something or someone) after thinking about other possible choices We finally settled on a soft yellow for the kitchen walls. Hours later, they settled on a plan.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game