settle downphrasal verb
settled down; settling down; settles down
Definition of settle down
1 : to become quiet, calm, or orderly Settle down, children. When things settle down here, I'll come for a visit.
2 : to begin to live a quiet and steady life by getting a regular job, getting married, etc. They swore they would never settle down and get married.
3 : to put oneself into a comfortable position He settled down for the night.
4 : to become quiet and begin giving one's attention to something They quickly settled down to their work.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?