settle (someone or something) downphrasal verb
settled (someone or something) down; settling (someone or something) down; settles (someone or something) down
Definition of settle (someone or something) down
: to make (someone or something) quiet, calm, or orderly He managed to settle the dog down long enough to give her the medicine.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game