send forthphrasal verb
sent forth; sending forth; sends forth
Definition of send forth
1 : to cause (something) to be heard She sent forth a loud cry.
2 : to cause (light, heat, etc.) to move outward from a source The tropical flowers sent forth a wonderful fragrance.
3 : to produce (something) in the process of growing or developing The plant began to send forth its shoots.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?