Definition of semipalmated plover
: a small ring plover (Charadrius hiaticula semipalmatus) breeding in arctic America and migrating to South America that is similar to the common ring plover of Europe but has semipalmate feet
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?