sell one's soul (to the devil)idiom
Definition of sell one's soul (to the devil)
: to gain wealth, success, power, etc., by doing something bad or dishonest He has sold his soul (to the devil) for fame and prosperity.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?