Definition of self-mockery
: action or speech in which one mocks or makes fun of oneself : mockery of oneself Before he retired from baseball in 1954, Mr. Garagiola was acquiring a reputation as a popular after-dinner speaker in his native St. Louis, with an endearing quality of self-mockery.— Bart Barnes She directed a scathing self-mockery at her own talents, looks, and intellectual efforts …— Jean Strouse
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?