Definition of self-display
: the act or an instance of showing off or exhibiting oneself usually in an ostentatious manner : self-exhibition He disliked self-display, making a scene, anything that threatened to rock the social boat.— James Trilling … reveled in the kind of self-display that a bourgeois woman was supposed to avoid …— Laura Auricchio
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game