Definition of self-dependence
: dependence on one's own resources or efforts : self-reliance " … If you won't help me, I'll manage without help." "Do; there is nothing like self-reliance, self-dependence."— Charlotte Brontë In 1861 he encouraged the self-dependence of the working class by establishing the Post Office Savings Bank …— J. R. Edwards
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game