seize upphrasal verb
Definition of seize up
: to stop working because the moving parts can no longer move The engine/brakes suddenly seized up. —sometimes used figuratively Her brain seized up when she tried to answer the question.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game