Definition of seed-corn maggot
: a small yellowish grub with a pointed head that is the larva of a grayish brown two-winged fly (Hylemya platura), is native to Europe but now widely distributed in North America, and is typically a destructive borer in seeds and seedlings (as of Indian corn, beans, or melons) but sometimes attacks stems or roots of older plants
— called also corn maggot
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game