see/read the writing/handwriting on the wallidiom
Definition of see/read the writing/handwriting on the wall
: to be aware that something bad will probably happen soon No one told him he was going to be fired, but he could see the writing on the wall.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game