see/read the writing/handwriting on the wallidiom
Definition of see/read the writing/handwriting on the wall
: to be aware that something bad will probably happen soon No one told him he was going to be fired, but he could see the writing on the wall.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game