variants: or less commonly sedge bird or sedge wren
Definition of sedge warbler
: a small warbler (Acrocephalus schoenobaenus) that breeds among reeds and sedges in Europe and Asia and winters in Africa, is rusty brownish above with dark centers to the feathers and buffy white below, and has a loud sweet song
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game