Definition of secondary wall
: the portion of a plant-cell wall formed internal to and subsequent to deposition of the primary wall after the cell has attained its final size and shape usually constituting most of the cell wall, often being very complex and consisting of several anisotropic layers, and frequently being buttressed internally by or consisting almost entirely of prominent rings, spirals, bars, or reticulations
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?