Definition of secondary growth
: growth in plants that results from the activity of a cambium producing increase especially in diameter, is mainly responsible for the bulk of the plant body, and supplies protective, supporting, and conducting tissue — compare primary growth
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game