Definition of secondary alcohol
: an alcohol that is characterized by the group >CHOH consisting of a carbon atom holding the hydroxyl group and one hydrogen atom and attached by its other two valences to other carbon atoms in a chain or ring and that can be oxidized to a ketone
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game