Definition of second species
: species counterpoint in which the added voice consists of two notes for each note of the cantus firmus In second species the added voice instead consists of two notes for every note of the cantus firmus …— Tom Pankhurst, SchenkerGUIDE, 2008 — see species counterpoint — compare first species, third species, fourth species, fifth species, unequal counterpoint
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game