Definition of sealed verdict
: a written verdict sealed up by the jury prior to leaving their place of confinement and deliberation, delivered to a proper office of the court in the absence of the judge or of the defendant in a criminal case, and not final until read in court with judge, jury and defendant in a criminal case present and then approved by the jury
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game