Definition of sealed verdict
: a written verdict sealed up by the jury prior to leaving their place of confinement and deliberation, delivered to a proper office of the court in the absence of the judge or of the defendant in a criminal case, and not final until read in court with judge, jury and defendant in a criminal case present and then approved by the jury
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game