Definition of sea snail
1 : a creeping marine gastropod mollusk with a spiral shell (as a whelk, triton, or moonshell)
2 : any of numerous small tadpole-shaped mail-cheeked fishes (family Liparididae) found in cold seas, covered with very lax skin, and usually having the pelvic fins modified to form a sucker
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game