Definition of sea purse
1 : the horny egg case of skates and of some sharks that is usually of quadrangular outline with the angles produced into filaments by which it becomes attached (as to seaweeds) and that commonly contains but one egg or embryo
2 : a coenocytic marine green alga of the genus Codium resembling a sponge
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?