Definition of sea letter
: a ship's passport issued in time of war to a neutral vessel on leaving a port, entitling the master to sail under the flag and pass of the nation to which it belongs, and specifying its cargo and crew, the names of its captain and owners, place of lading, port of registry, and destination
— called also sea brief, sea pass
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game