variants: or sea blossom
Definition of sea bloom
: a free-floating marine blue-green alga (Trichodesmium erythraeum) that has a red pigment in addition to the phycocyanin and sometimes occurs so abundantly in the warmer seas as to color the water red — compare water bloom
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?