scu·tel·larin | \ sk(y)üˈtelərə̇n, ˌsk(y)ütᵊlˈa(a)rə̇n\
Definition of scutellarin
1 : a resinoid prepared from the root of the mad-dog skullcap and related mints of the genus Scutellaria and used especially formerly as a tonic and nerve sedative
2 : a yellow crystalline compound C21H18O12 obtained from the root of the mad-dog skullcap
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game